How ISVs Can Choose the Right Marketplace to Make Apps Standout
How ISVs Can Choose the Right Marketplace to Make Apps Standout
Being an Independent Software Vendor (ISV) can be a challenging proposition. With a recent survey conducted by Honeywell indicating that 51% of ISVs have 10 or fewer employees, there’s a lot of work to go around and many hats to wear. While most employees are apt to find inspiration in such an environment, some important things can still slip through the cracks. In fact, our survey found that 33% of ISVs identified lack of technical support as a top challenge in their businesses, followed closely by 32% who cited a shortage of marketing funds.
The App Is Created. Now What?
Now that you’ve created your application, it’s time to let the world know about it. With scant resources and limited funding, the best of ISVs are often challenged with how to market their products and attract potential customers. Key points to remember are:
- Differentiation makes a difference. Sometimes called the unique selling proposition, it’s that special sauce that makes your product stand out from the crowd. That’s what you need to lean into in order to maximize returns.
- Be sure your design conveys this differentiation and stands out in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
- It’s often better to be first in the minds of your customers than the first to go to market. This means understanding the specific needs of your audience and crafting communications and content – via blogs, white papers, social media, etc. – that engages them.
- Find a marketplace that fits. Given the limited availability of development sales and marketing resources, you must choose the right marketplaces to sell your application in order to maximize sales potential.
Three Things to Remember When Choosing a Marketplace
There are countless marketplaces. How do you pick the right one? Here are three things to keep in mind when choosing a marketplace:
- When comparing marketplace pros and cons, you should also assess potential competitors. Some marketplaces feature numerous ISVs and apps targeted at disparate industries, which makes gaining share a very tall order. In other marketplaces, a single, long-established ISV creates a high barrier for entry by obtaining referrals from the vendor or appearing in a featured placement.
- Many ISVs have found their product competing with competitors with very similar offerings. ISVs need to constantly innovate to remain ahead of the curve or pivot to new marketplaces.
- In many marketplaces, a small number of popular solutions dominate sales in a specific category, while the vast majority generate very little revenue. To increase your chances of success, you should ensure your app stands out from the rest to gain maximum exposure and revenue. Be sure to select a marketplace that supports your go-to-market initiatives and provides you with the advice you need to thrive.
How to Stand Out in the Marketplace
With marketplaces open to thousands, even hundreds of thousands of end customers, differentiating your product won’t be easy, but it will be rewarding.
- In addition to using the resources of the marketplace and vendor sales teams to drive demand, you should also consider pursuing your own direct marketing and sales activities. Nobody knows your unique positioning like you.
- Consider the marketplace as another online channel, albeit a special one that may include commerce facilities for managing sales and subscriptions.
- If you are assessing plans to create a new app, review the competencies of multiple marketplaces to determine which offers the best combination of customer base, competitive landscape, and co-marketing partnership.
How to Make the Sale in the Marketplace
This is why you came. Registering for a marketplace can help you in untold ways, not the least of which is closing the deal. Here are some ways to maximize your returns:
- Utilize free trials to encourage downloads and user engagement.
- Make it as easy as possible for your prospects. Ensure your app is easy to use and provides intuitive education to encourage customers to explore its functionality, including demonstrations and videos. Provide simple installation and configuration.
- Provide customer support and onboarding to support your new prospects and ensure their maintained satisfaction with your product.
- To build credibility with prospects, encourage new customers to write reviews, particularly early in the product lifecycle.
Choose the Honeywell Marketplace to List Your Apps
The Honeywell Marketplace is an online platform that enables both Honeywell and our ISV partner ecosystem to meet and collaborate to deliver solutions to customers in the industries we serve. This online marketplace provides the ability for customers to find, learn about, purchase, and deploy solutions that meet their strategic needs. In the Marketplace, you will find solutions to address both simple and complex needs.
The Honeywell Marketplace also provides software vendors a flexible approach to building their applications and connecting with customers, which can help lead to increased sales opportunities. The Honeywell Marketplace enables ISVs to manage their applications and solutions in one centralized, easy-to-use, and intuitive platform. Software vendors can conduct transactions directly through the online store to simplify ordering and deployment processes. The Honeywell Marketplace manages the billing process, which helps eliminate the need for software vendors to invest in costly back-end payment and invoicing systems.
Vendors who offer direct purchase and downloading from the Marketplace will have their apps reviewed by Honeywell software engineers, which includes a cybersecurity testing and validation process.
If you’ve got an app, submit it. We’ll review and publish it on the Honeywell Marketplace for our global audience to view and download. It’s that simple, and you’ll receive unprecedented marketing and technical support in the process.
As an ISV partner, you can provide solutions in the following industries:
- Distribution Center/Warehouse
- Field Service
- Post/Parcel Delivery
Solutions can be found in a myriad of categories that include:
- Asset/Inventory Tracking
- Customer Relationship Management
- Developer Tools
- Direct Store Delivery (DSD)
- Enterprise Asset Management (EAM)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Honeywell Device Tools
- Incident Management
- Labor Management System (LMS)
- Mobile Device Management/Enterprise Mobility Management/Unified Endpoint Management (MDM/EMM/UEM)
- Navigation and Delivery
- Point of Sale (POS)
- Task/Workflow Management
- Terminal Emulation
- Transportation Management System (TMS)
- Warehouse Management System (WMS)
Join the Marketplace to take advantage of these benefits:
- Gain global visibility by taking advantage of Honeywell’s global brand recognition and reach.
- Enhance your solution offering by collaborating with other developers in the ecosystem.
- Utilize the automated lead management system to increase sales.
- Improve the customer experience with online ordering, license provisioning, and billing management.
Click here to get started.