Honeywell Intelligrated Powers New Amazon Fulfillment Center
June 13, 2018
Earlier this week, we were honored to attend the hard-hat tour of the new Amazon fulfillment center just north of Calgary, Alberta. The event gave local politicians, media members and other stakeholders a sneak peek at the 600,000-square-foot facility. Once it opens later this year, the warehouse will complement a larger network of Amazon fulfillment centers throughout Canada.
Honeywell Intelligrated handled the engineering, design, installation and support for the material handling equipment. For such a massive project, this was no small task. We began work on the facility in March 2018 and had a team of over 110 workers on-site, including techs, engineers and other support personnel during the installation process.
The system includes:
- Over 4,800 linear meters of conveyor
- An IntelliSort high-speed sliding shoe routing sorter, which achieves the highest speeds of any piece of equipment in the facility while maintaining the precision to handle even fragile items
- An even bigger IntelliSort cross-belt shipping sorter that stretches 529 meters in length and includes 187 divert destinations
It all comes together to help workers efficiently pick, pack and ship orders so that they arrive on customers’ doorsteps right on time.
Want to see more from the event? Click the links below for additional coverage and videos from the tour!
- Global News: Tour Amazon’s new fulfillment centre in Balzac
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation: Nearly finished Amazon warehouse to bring 1,000 jobs to Calgary region
- Calgary Sun: Amazon nears opening of Balzac ‘fulfillment centre’
- Global News: Amazon fulfillment centre in Balzac over 50 percent complete
To subscribe to our blog and receive exclusive communications and updates from Honeywell Intelligrated, click here.