City Technology Materials Safety
City Technology have Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all products which detail the chemical hazards and properties of the components used within each sensor. The MSDS cover the following:
- Composition / information on materials used
- Hazard identification
- First-aid measures
- Fire fighting measures
- Accidental release measures
- Handling and storage
- Exposure controls / personal protection
- Physical and chemical properties
- Stability and reactivity
- Toxicological information
- Disposal considerations
Health and Safety Guidelines
Electrochemical Gas Sensors
CiTiceL electrochemical gas sensors are supplied as sealed units and in normal usage represent no chemical hazard in the sense of the "Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations" and the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Chemical hazard can however arise if CiTiceLs are misused or abused when leakage may occur. Leakage may also occur in the event of a manufacturing fault. In order to avoid potential problems the following notes should be observed on storage, usage, handling and the disposal of unwanted CiTiceLs.
Oxygen CiTiceLs contain a 4-molar potassium acetate solution which is corrosive. Normally this material would only leak out as a result of either mechanical damage (crushing or piercing) or by electrical misuse for example by attempting to input electrical charge. These CiTiceLs also contain small amounts of lead, lead oxide, platinum, silver, carbon and antimony some of which are toxic and/or mutagenic. If the user comes into contact with the Oxygen CiTiceL s contents the affected area should be washed with a copious supply of water. Obtain medical advice.
As these sensors contain some highly toxic compounds, irrespective of physical condition they should be disposed of according to local waste management requirements and environmental legislation. They should not be burnt as they may evolve toxic fumes.
Toxic Gas CiTiceLs
The majority of Toxic Gas CiTiceLs contain sulphuric acid electrolyte and the chemical hazard is mainly related to the corrosive nature of this compound. These sensors also contain platinum, ruthenium, gold, silver, carbon some of which are toxic. Any skin or eye contact with the contents of these CiTiceLs should be washed immediately with copious amount of water. Obtain medical advice.
Design and Use
CiTiceLs are sealed units containing an aqueous electrolyte and a combination of other substances as detailed above. Provided these CiTiceLs are used only for their intended application they do not represent a chemical hazard.
CiTiceLs must not be exposed to temperatures outside the range -50°C to 60°C. Toxic gas CiTiceLs should not be exposed to organic vapours which may cause physical damage to the body of the sensor, for example 1, 2 dichloroethane.
For maximum shelf life CiTiceLs should be stored in the containers in which they are supplied in clean dry areas between 0°C and 20°C. CiTiceLs must not be stored in areas containing organic solvents or in flammable liquid stores.
CiTiceLs are classified under UN 2800 (Batteries - Wet non-spillable) and conform to the special provisions, section 4.5, paragraph A67 of the dangerous goods regulations. As such CiTiceLs are classed as non-dangerous and may be transported without special packing, labels, etc. It is, however, important to check any local regulations.
Should any CiTiceL be so severely damaged that leakage of the contents occurs then the following procedures should be adopted.
- Avoid skin contact with any liquid or internal component through use of protective gloves.
- Disconnect CiTiceL if it is attached to any equipment.
- Use copious amounts of clean water to wash away any spilt liquid. This is particularly important in equipment where the CiTiceL involved contains sulphuric acid or phosphoric acid because of the corrosive nature of these electrolytes.
All CiTiceLs contain toxic compounds irrespective of physical condition. They should be disposed of according to local waste management requirements and environmental legislation. They should not be burnt since they may evolve toxic fumes.