29 Questions Answered about the Honeywell 8680i Wearable Mini Mobile Computer
29 Questions Answered about the Honeywell 8680i Wearable Mini Mobile Computer
The Honeywell 8680i Wearable Mini Mobile Computer is the latest in hands-free scanning technology for the supply chain. This wearable scanner is designed to help workers complete high-volume tasks with greater efficiency and accuracy. In this article we are going to answer 29 common questions about the 8680i wearable mini mobile. The topic categories include:
- Basic Operation
- Advanced Version Functionality and Programming
- Wearable Accessories/Configurations
- Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC)
Lightweight and compact, the Advanced model provides a single-device scanning solution, eliminating the need for both a scanner and mobile computer. The 8680i wearable mini mobile is available as a two-finger ring or cut-resistant glove form factor, making it easy to integrate into picking, packing, and sorting workflows and resulting in greater speed and accuracy.
The 8680i wearable mini mobile is 17 percent lighter than competing wearable solutions. Built compact and rugged, it leaves workers’ hands free to get the job done faster and more accurately, improving scanning times by 5 seconds per typical transaction. This single-device solution delivers essential workflow information directly to the worker’s line-of-sight and enables task-specific responses with a two-button interface.
Honeywell 8680i Wearable Mini Mobile Product Features
- Wi-Fi connectivity, two-button interface, and user-facing display with customizable workflow instructions
- 3.6 V, 1200 mAh (slim battery), 2160 mAh (extended battery) for full-shift operation
- 3,000 scans over 8-hour shift for slim battery versions, and 8,000 over 10-hour shift for extended
- Omni-directional area imager
- IP54 rating for protection against dust and water
- Also available in a standard model, a Bluetooth®-enabled scanner ideal for simple data collection applications
We would like to take the opportunity to answer the most common questions we receive regarding the 8680i:
1. How long do the batteries last?
With all functions under normal use conditions, the extended battery is rated for 10 hours and 8,000 scans; the slim battery is rated for 8 hours and 3,000 scans.
2. Can I change from triggered ring to glove and vice versa?
Yes, this simply requires changing the mounts on the bottom of the unit.
3. Can I change from slim to extended batteries?
Yes, simply remove and replace the battery. The device and battery chargers are compatible with both batteries with no changes required.
4. Is the device suitable for outdoor use?
With an IP54 sealing, -20°C to 50°C (-4°F to 122°F) operating temperature, and a sunlight-readable display, the 8680i wearable mini mobile is suitable for outdoor use.
5. How can I restart the device without removing the battery?
Hold the button to the left of the display for 6 seconds, and the device will restart.
6. Which charging options are available?
We offer 4-bay and 12-bay chargers for devices or batteries.
7. Can I charge the device with the glove attached?
The glove should be removed from the 8680i wearable mini mobile by detaching the snaps before charging, as leaving the glove attached can interfere with a secure fit in the charger.
8. What is the difference between the Standard and Advanced versions?
The Standard version offers lightweight, ergonomic Bluetooth-wearable scanning with clear communication of wireless connection, battery status, and scan results when paired with another device. The Advanced model enables streamlined workflows on a single device, replacing a scanner and mobile computer when paired with a network host application. The customizable user-facing display communicates workflow instructions, while the two-button interface enables users to navigate menus and confirm selections. The 8680i wearable mini mobile connects directly to the network application through Wi-Fi and the SDK.
9. How can I configure my device?
Basic device setting barcodes are published in the User Guide. More complex settings can be configured using the EZConfig tool. If using EZConfig, please reference the User Guide to configure the device for connection (must be changed from default HID to SPP mode to establish connection).
10. Is there an option for triggerless/proximity sensing scanning?
Yes, the 8680i wearable mini mobile can be configured to scan automatically when within scanning range of an object. Settings are detailed in the User Guide under “Object Detection Mode”.
Advanced Version Functionality and Programming
11. How many characters fit on the Advanced display?
The two-line display will accommodate roughly 11 to 15 characters per line, dependent on font size selected. The larger one-line layout will accommodate roughly 4 to 8 characters, dependent on font size selected.
12. Why is the screen blank when I connect to the network or another device?
The Advanced version of the device reserves the screen for scan confirmation and workflow instructions, which can be sent from the network application.
13. How can I check device status?
Simultaneously pressing both buttons next to the display will bring up a screen with wireless connection and battery status.
14. How can I develop a host program to drive the Advanced version?
Information on programming can be found in the device User Guide, or in the SDK documentation.
15. What tools are available to customize my network or paired device applications for 8680i directed workflows?
Software Development Kits (SDKs) are available for 1:1 PC via Bluetooth, 1:1 Apple® iOS via Bluetooth BLE, and 1:many Windows® via Wi-Fi. An additional SDK for Android™ is available for integration with the most common current mobile computer operating system.
16. How do I change from right- to left-handed use?
The triggered ring is quickly reversible; the glove is available in right- or left-hand mount versions.
17. Is the glove compatible with touchscreens?
Yes, the strap glove leaves the fingers exposed for touchscreen use.
18. Can I change a device from triggered ring to glove, and vice versa?
Yes. Instructions on changing the mounting attachments are detailed in the User Guide. Glove mounts and triggered ring mounts are orderable accessories, available in packs of 10.
19. Can I mount the 8680i device on right- or left-hand gloves?
Gloves are configured as either right-hand or left-hand mounting. The paired glove does not have an 8680i mounting plate or trigger.
20. Are the gloves washable?
Yes, washing instructions are in the data sheet.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Communications
21. What is the default Bluetooth profile for the 8680i device?
The default profile is HID.
22. How do I pair the 8680i wearable mini mobile with my device?
Detailed instructions on pairing with a range of devices can be found in the User Guide.
23. Why does my 8680i device appear as a keyboard or a Bluetooth display when pairing with my PC?
The range of standard icons is limited. If pairing in HID mode, the icon will appear as a keyboard; if pairing in SPP mode, the icon will appear as a Bluetooth display.
24. Which communication options are available for Bluetooth?
The 8680i device can communicate via HID or SPP, and BLE or classic.
25. What is the Bluetooth wireless range?
The 8680i wearable mini mobile has a Class 1 Bluetooth radio, with a 100 meter (300 foot) range. BLE range is approximately 9.1 meters (30 feet).
26. Can I pair with a Honeywell scanner charge and communication base or Honeywell Bluetooth Access Point?
Yes. Reference the User Guide section entitled "Pair with a Honeywell Communication and Charge Base or Access Point" for the required configuration barcodes.
27. What information do we have on wireless security and connectivity?
The 8680i wearable mini mobile is configured to provide 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi communications, and offers security aligned with current standards:
- Security standards: WPA, WPA2, WEP, WPA2 EAP (TLS, TTLS, PEAP GTC, and PEAP MSCHAPv2).
- Connection: Connection, Auto-reconnect, Intra Profile connection (roaming), Hidden and Broadcast SSIDs.
- SSID and PSK values can be scanned in via menu commands. The host can also use the menu commands to set these values.
- User can generate Barcodes for SSID and PSK for the device to scan, save, and connect to the Profile.
- KRACK exploit has been mitigated.
- Soft Roaming: Simple and learned, across bands (all combinations of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), DFS Channels, and 802.11 modes.
Opportunistic Key Caching (OKC)
28. How do I connect via Wi-Fi?
The default configuration has Bluetooth active and Wi-Fi off. Wi-Fi can be activated and configured using the EZConfig tool.
29. Is wired communication available with the 8680i charge base?
The 8680i wearable mini mobile is configured as a wireless-only device. There are no wired communications through the device charge base.
Honeywell Barcode Scanners and Scanning Systems
At Honeywell, make barcode scanning easy. That’s why Honeywell barcode readers are plug and play with industry-leading scan performance, making even the most difficult-to-read barcodes look good.
From retail checkout to hospital patient care to warehouse supply chains and manufacturing, Honeywell barcode scanners are purpose-built for the demands of your business. Learn More.