How to Finance Your Migration from Legacy Windows to Ruggedized Android Devices
How to Finance Your Migration from Legacy Windows to Ruggedized Android Devices
Across the supply chain organizations have made the decision to move off legacy Windows® Embedded Handheld and are well into the transition if not already complete. However, there are a mix of large and small operations that are still needing to make decisions.
According to a recent enterprise mobile study, more than 50 percent of decision-makers said they will remain on legacy Windows after End of Life phase or are still evaluating their options.1 This means that organizations will be running software that’s no longer supported, resulting in the potential for data to be compromised.
Warehousing Is a Low-Margin Business
Warehousing is a low-margin business and there is a predominate feeling among the industry that “if it is not broke, we really don’t want to fix it.” Traditionally warehousing invests slowly and uses the device as long as possible. Larger operations may have the focus but are lacking budget and/or don’t know if they have the right plan in place for migrating to a new OS. And smaller operations don’t feel an urgency and don’t have any immediate plans.
With so much information, why do companies still take a wait-and-see approach, hoping to extend the lifecycle of devices beyond their intended life? For some it’s because this transition is not simply about buying replacement devices. It will take substantial resources to support moving to a new OS. For others, it’s not knowing where to begin the process. Whatever the reason, the transition from legacy Windows to an operating system like Android™ is a business necessity.
On the upside, moving from legacy Windows devices is an opportunity to drive operational efficiencies by refining workflows, by leveraging the capabilities of modern mobile devices and providing employees a richer and more intuitive mobile experience.
Honeywell Simplifies the Way You Acquire and Manage Critical Assets
Honeywell as a Service simplifies the way you acquire and manage the lifecycle of critical assets.
What Is HaaS?
HaaS is an offering to help you navigate technology challenges. It provides you with an innovative approach to acquire software, hardware, and services, and pay for them through a monthly payment model. Since no upfront capital outlay is required, you can maintain your competitive advantage in the market. HaaS gives you the flexibility you need for success.
Why Choose HaaS?
Whether you are looking to optimize your cash flow or manage the equipment lifecycle of your assets, we can design an offering tailored to your needs.
The following are a few reasons for you to consider HaaS:
- Value beyond one-time hardware transaction. Due to the very nature of this solution you can achieve ongoing value, rather than just limiting value to a one-time-only transaction.
- Eliminates the complexities associated with multiple contracts. HaaS eliminates the confusion of having multiple contracts from different sources, since you can combine all expenses associated with your purchase into one convenient plan. Equipment, deployment, professional services, break-fix services, and software – everything you need is included in a single contract. Responses to purchase applications are provided within 24 hours.
- Cost-effective. Honeywell is a global company. If you compare HaaS against your current lending/financial institution, you will most likely find HaaS to be more cost-effective with better long-term value over the life of the contract.
- Eliminate technology obsolesce and security risk. With HaaS, you don’t need to ever again worry about your technology becoming obsolete or being a security risk. As your contract comes to a close, you can extend your lease, purchase the hardware, or get a technology refresh. If you decide to choose a hardware upgrade or refresh, you can receive credit toward new devices if there is residual value.
- Asset management. HaaS also includes an Asset Management Tool to enable the management of your equipment throughout the time it is in use. (Available in the U.S. only.)
- Lifecycle management. When it’s time for devices to be updated, the costs related to device data destruction, recycling, and/or remarketing are covered by HaaS.
What are your next steps?
Whether you are interested in reducing capital expenditure or optimizing depreciation, we can develop an offering that is tailored to your needs and goals. It’s simple to get started. Contact your Honeywell representative, preferred partner, or distributor, and ask for HaaS as an option for your next purchase.
Honeywell Has Deep Experience with Android OS
Honeywell has been working with Android since 2011. We have made massive investments in Android engineering competency. Honeywell helps companies confidently select, deploy, and manage Android operating system devices and services. As part of the Google-led Android Enterprise Recommended Managed Service Provider program, Honeywell provides customers more confidence in deploying Android solutions and making sure that their enterprise mobility deployment is consistent and current.
Honeywell provides customers with a comprehensive set of enterprise services that address every phase of the mobility lifecycle to help streamline operations and reduce IT-related costs. Honeywell globally manages more than two million devices such as smartphones, tablets, and ruggedized mobile computers.
Honeywell is one of the only companies that delivers both Android Enterprise Recommended mobile devices and managed services. Honeywell's validated devices are built on the company's Mobility EdgeTM platform, a common hardware architecture and set of software tools that provide IT departments with an agile approach for deploying, managing, and updating devices.
Mobile devices built on the scalable Mobility Edge platform help extend product lifecycles by supporting current and future versions of the Android operating system. Honeywell is one of the only rugged mobile computer providers to commit to supporting through at least Android R.
Honeywell Devices on the Mobility Edge Platform
The current family of devices includes the CT40, CT60, CN80, CK65, and Thor™ VM1A devices, all running on Mobility Edge. More devices are in process for future release. A brief overview of each device follows:
- Sleek, Ergonomic, Easy to Use All Day Long. The sleek, lightweight, ergonomic design fits easily in the hand – while the simple, intuitive smartphone user interface, enterprise-ready ruggedness, and long-life battery keep workers productive all day long.
- Seamless Integration and Investment Protection. Easy compatibility and seamless integration with both Honeywell Connected applications as well as third-party applications such as MDM, Push to Talk, and VoIP software to maximize efficiency and protect your investment.
- Advanced Data Capture Scanning. Offers three convenient scan engine options with enhanced data capture speed and reading range performance to improve worker efficiency; provides flexibility with a green LED dot aimer or a sharp red frame laser aimer for fast barcode capture, even outdoors.
- Optimal Power and Connectivity. Delivers all-day connectivity to business-critical data and systems with a powerful Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 660 processor, the latest 4G LTE/NFC connectivity, and long-lasting battery power.
- Unparalleled Scanning Performance. Next-generation 2D imager delivers best-in-class data capture on linear and 2D barcodes. Optional scan handle for flexibility to switch between handheld and pistol grip operations to reduce worker fatigue.
- Rugged, Ergonomic Design – Built to Last. Sleek, lightweight, and rugged. Fits easily into a pocket. IP65 and IP67 ratings against dust/water spray; can withstand multiple 1.5 m (5 ft) drops to concrete and 1,000 1 m (3.3 ft) tumbles.
- Rugged, Ergonomic Design – Built to Last. Minimizes downtime and lost productivity with extreme longevity: withstands 3 m (10 ft) drops to concrete and 2,000 1 m (3.3 ft) tumbles; IP65/IP67 ratings for dust/water spray and even immersion; cold storage and non-incendive options.
- Best of Both Worlds – Keys and Touchscreen. Boosts productivity with a real numeric or QWERTY keypad for fast and easy data entry plus a full touchscreen for new or future application migration.
- Unparalleled Scanning Performance. Enhanced 1D/2D scanning/data capture options with read ranges of 0.15 m to 15.2 m (6 in to 50 ft) typically required in today’s warehouses; optional scan handle for flexibility.
- Long Battery Life to Drive Productivity. Long shifts, extended talk-times, and heavy GPS usage are no match for the CN80. Long battery life minimizes workflow interruptions and drives efficiency.
- Best-in-Class Drop Rating. A 2.4 m (8 ft) drop spec across temperatures helps you ensure maximum uptime, reducing spare pool size and saving on repair costs.
- Support for Touchscreen and Keypad. Choose the data input method that works best for the task or app at hand, with support for newer touch-based or older key-based legacy apps.
- Superior Wi-Fi. The best wi-fi in its class for reliable, drop-free connections: Bluetooth® 5 for headsets and other accessories and NFC in every model. No more struggling with bad connections!
- Industry-Leading Battery Life: Maximize productivity with 28 hours of battery life – versus competitive models’ 14-18 hours. The battery is also hot-swappable so workers don’t need to reboot and lose their active session when swapping batteries.
- Backward-Compatibility. Reduce your operating costs and risk by reusing existing CK3X accessories and batteries – no need to buy and deploy new ones.
- Field-Replaceable Front Panel. Reduce maintenance costs by enabling in-house staff to repair the most common touchscreen and keyboard issues, rather than send the whole computer in for service.
- Smart Dock for Easy Mounting and Removal. The Smart Dock feature enables mounting and removal in seconds without touching cabling, allowing computers to be quickly and easily shifted between vehicles as workloads change.
- Built for All-Day Productivity. Fast processor, WLAN connectivity, integrated keyboard, and large 8-inch touchscreen keeps data readily accessible, while the ignition control feature helps manage power, saving startup time and extending vehicle battery life.
- Cold Storage Option. Built to withstand extreme temperatures and rugged conditions, both indoors and out. Available with optional screen defroster for use in cold storage and freezer environments.