Honeywell Operational Intelligence Build Secure by Design Product Security Platform
Honeywell Operational Intelligence Build Secure by Design Product Security Platform
Across the supply chain, organizations deploy fleets of mobile devices made up of assets from multiple manufacturers – ruggedized mobile computers, tablets, barcode scanners, and printers. Each device comes with its own operating system, software, contracts, agreements, and repair processes that must be carefully managed. Many of these devices can collect rich telemetry and event data that can be used to provide actionable insights into how devices are used, how to decrease operational costs, and how to improve productivity. Sadly, organizations are challenged in accessing these insights because they are using separate tools and aggregating the information with spreadsheets and in-house developed tools.
Operational Intelligence Overview
Honeywell Operational Intelligence solves these needs and problems by providing IT and site leaders and services providers a centralized, cloud-based platform to manage the complete lifecycle of their assets. Operational Intelligence aggregates lifecycle and workflow information into a single flexible tool to capture data, enforce processes, and provide visibility across the entire device workflow for your heterogeneous environment. Operational Intelligence is also capable of communicating with Honeywell devices to gather deep metric and telemetry data; provide software, configuration, OS, and firmware updates to the devices; and track indoor device location.
Operational Intelligence is a powerful analysis software engine that provides dashboards to support your troubleshooting efforts. At Honeywell, we believe in the power of intelligence and design products to give you more of it. Over the last several years, Honeywell has been systematically adding powerful “self-analyzing” toolsets to all of our hardware products. These embedded tools are capable of methodically capturing hundreds of performance data points from our devices as they are being used in your operations. When this data is compiled and analyzed, it opens amazing insights into many problems common to AIDC technology users.
Operational Intelligence includes four modules to give you a robust tool to manage and optimize assets across your locations throughout the operational asset lifecycle. These include:
- Service Management: As a vendor-agnostic solution, systematically standardize, manage, and optimize the process of servicing your IT assets.
- Performance Management: Track, analyze, and report on the operational performance of your IT assets. Remotely download software and configurations.
- Configuration Management: Reduce time spent on individual device updates and security risks by keeping devices automatically updated.
- Worker Performance: Analyze worker performance and workflow efficiencies by tracking device and application use.
A Closer Look at Honeywell Product Security Platform
Honeywell’s Operational Intelligence is backed by the Honeywell Product Security Platform. Our security platform is based on knowledge that in today’s connected world, threat actors are working around the clock to identify vulnerabilities and ultimately harm your business. When you choose Honeywell, you’ll know your products and solutions are secure by design, informed by intelligence, and defended with vigilance so you can operate with confidence that both your data and operations are secure.
Secure by Design
Honeywell’s Secure System Design Lifecycle (SSDL) drives the development of our products and solutions. The Honeywell SSDL gathers critical information from numerous sources, including current cybersecurity standards like the ISA 62443. This information is used to create security requirements that products must meet from their inception. Our security efforts also include detailed architectural analysis, code review, and security testing, with each iteration building on giving you the benefit of current security fixes and patches.
Honeywell Operational Intelligence adheres to standards from organizations such as the Cloud Security Alliance Control Matrix and the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security to ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your data on our platform. Honeywell has worked to ensure that we have minimized the attack surface area, established secure defaults from the very start, and are defending with depth our cloud infrastructure. Honeywell treats the security of Operational Intelligence as a foundational feature that is built into every other functionality of our offering. Continuously working and evolving our DevSecOps, while aligning our cybersecurity program to the Building Security in Building Security in Maturity Model (BSIMM v9) framework.
Maturity Model (BSIMM v9) framework
Honeywell Operational Intelligence is hosted on the Microsoft Azure platform in the United States, and can be deployed on Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, or any other cloud infrastructure provider. Security controls around business continuity and disaster recovery have been built into the platform from its inception. As the platform is easily scalable, resilient, and portable, Honeywell has ensured that our infrastructure providers meet the latest advancements in cybersecurity protections for customer data.
Honeywell has been working to ensure a cohesive DevSecOps strategy throughout our software development lifecycle and Operational Intelligence inherits controls that have made Honeywell a trusted partner for governmental organizations and customers in the national security and critical infrastructure domains.
Role-based access controls and workflows have been well-defined and architected to ensure auditing around actions taken by users throughout the platform. Tenant level and permissions are controlled at the customer level with permissions for each feature layer.
We took a holistic approach to securing the solution as a cloud platform and have gone through our SSDL to ensure security requirements, threat modeling, and penetration testing have all been baked in from the very beginning. Our privacy impact assessment process has been closely aligned with regulatory requirements such as GDPR and CCPA to ensure compliance and best practices for securely storing data. Honeywell has taken care to ensure that no sensitive or personally identifiable information is stored on our cloud infrastructure.
Informed by Intelligence
Honeywell’s large footprint in multiple industries gives us a broad view of emerging cybersecurity threats in their earliest stages. This allows us to identify issues, develop countermeasures, and deploy them to our customers earlier than the competition. We also leverage relationships to receive pre-disclosures of vulnerabilities from industry councils and partners including Intel, Qualcomm, and Google. Also, Honeywell’s size and strength allows us to leverage the broad investment in security across our enterprise.
Honeywell is involved in 70 industry sectors often involving critical infrastructure and national security. Honeywell Operational intelligence has inherited from the body of knowledge and work being done in cybersecurity that Honeywell has at its disposal from the 300 dedicated cybersecurity professionals that work across our company.
Honeywell Operational Intelligence has been put through its paces. A group of dedicated white-hat penetration testers (OSCE/OSCP certified), completely independent from the engineering team, continuously test our solution to ensure we have the strictest standards for defense.
Defended with Vigilance
To maintain the highest level of vigilance, Honeywell employs a team of analysts working diligently to identify and report potential security risks. To stay ahead, you’ll receive security patches on a consistent basis, based on updates from Honeywell and our partners. With this continual monitoring of systems’ security, you can be confident Honeywell is in the know and stands ready to partner with you in the protection of your critical resources and data.
Honeywell Operational Intelligence is constantly being monitored by our team of professionals using up-to-the-minute centralized logging and alerting methodologies to ensure constant access to your critical data. Additionally, Operational Intelligence relies strictly on encrypted protocols to transmit data, and Transparent Data Encryption to store data that is encrypted. These two methodologies warrant that Multi-Tenancy and segmentation of your data is assured.
Honeywell Operational Intelligence is a cloud-based platform to manage the complete lifecycle of your assets. Operational Intelligence aggregates lifecycle and workflow information into a single, flexible tool to capture data, enforce processes, and provide visibility across the entire device workflow for your heterogeneous environment. Operational Intelligence is also capable of communicating with Honeywell devices to gather deep metric and telemetry data; provide software, configuration, OS, and firmware updates to the devices; and track indoor device location.
Operational Intelligence is a powerful analysis software engine that provides dashboards to support your troubleshooting efforts. At Honeywell, we believe in the power of intelligence and design products to give you more of it. That’s why we have been systematically adding powerful “self-analyzing” toolsets to all of our hardware products. These embedded tools we call “Edge Intelligence” are capable of methodically capturing hundreds of performance data points from our devices as they are being used in your operations. When this data is compiled and analyzed, it opens amazing insights into many problems common to AIDC technology users.
Operational Intelligence delivers results that have been previously unattainable with any one solution. These include:
- Assign assets to unique departments and locations for accountability.
- Receive real-time status updates on assets returned for repair to reduce help desk status calls.
- Define self-service checklists to follow prior to RMA issuance to reduce NFF returns and create accountability.
- Simplify the RMA process by consolidating and standardizing the lifecycle management processes by digitizing your service and repair workflow, ensuring global consistency and simplifying the process for all employees.
- Control corporate shipping methods through automated integration to understand and reduce shipping costs.
- Minimize size of spare pools, reducing upfront capital expenditure.
- Properly allocate devices to locations and departments based on usage to improve productivity.
- Track connected mobile devices in operation and unconnected mobile devices through their service repair workflow and back into operations or spare pools to reduce lost devices.
- Reduce wasteful spend on unnecessary equipment purchases by analyzing device utilization and alerting supervisors to underutilized devices that could be relocated.
- Receive device lifecycle analytics to make informed decisions to refresh devices, spot reoccurring device issues, and identify individual problem devices.
- Track and locate devices to minimize lost devices.
- Minimize productivity loss with real-time notifications for printer jams and out-of-media and ink issues.
- Increase device uptime and availability by providing predictive notifications about pending maintenance needs or consumable replacements such as batteries, labels, printheads, and more.
- Track dropped and high-impact events on the devices to understand the care and use of the devices.
- Understand battery usage to drive behavior changes to extend the lifespan of batteries.
- Receive recommendations and make informed decisions regarding battery replacements based on health.
- Device OS and firmware update capabilities and versioning tracking so you can have visibility into security vulnerabilities and can patch devices to enforce compliance and mitigate risk.
- Integrated dashboards, KPIs, alerts, and notifications to provide device usage and productivity degradation events to improve utilization and productivity.
If you want to learn how Operational Intelligence can help you better manage your mobile assets, contact Honeywell today at https://www.honeywellaidc.com/solutions/workflow/operational-intelligence.