How to be More Productive and Secure and Reduce IT Management Expenses with Mobility Edge Enterprise Client Pack
How to be More Productive and Secure and Reduce IT Management Expenses with Mobility Edge Enterprise Client Pack
Honeywell includes a comprehensive set of tools with its Mobility Edge™ platform known as the Honeywell Enterprise Client Pack (ECP) for Android™. In this article we will take a closer look at the tools included and what functionality they provide the end user.
Honeywell ECP for Android provides the tools for customers to be more productive and secure and reduce IT management expenses. ECP includes 1) Enterprise Browser, 2) Enterprise TE application, and 3) Launcher for Android. ECP supports Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and later.
Enterprise Browser for Android
Honeywell Enterprise Browser for Android is a locked-down enterprise web client application designed and pre-installed on Honeywell Android-based computers. It provides a default-deny approach with isolation capabilities to support all of your web-enabled applications and browsing needs.
Enterprise Browser is essentially a security overlay layer that sits on top of your browser of choice (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, etc.) and controls functionalities of the underlying code. We give the user power to select the search engine attributes they want to allow on their devices.
You can configure Enterprise Browser for your specific application requirements. Unlike consumer-based browsers that by design allow full access with the ability to block, Enterprise Browser takes a block-all approach, allowing for the definition of acceptable URLs/domains in a sandboxed environment. This approach reduces the risk of users accessing sites that are unproductive, inappropriate, or that may be a security risk.
Sandboxed environments allow for connection to/from only isolated points within the public and private cloud. This keeps the end user productive and ensures end-point security while keeping the device managed and using the most up-to-date Android operating system. Allow only what meets your corporate guidelines.
Enterprise Browser provides you with lock-down controls that include: 1) App cache path, 2) Location rules, 3) Exit password, 4) Block pop-ups, 5) Network images, 6) Media, 7) Text encoding, and 8) Geolocationing. The lock-down features allow you to:
- Configure storage, options, and location information.
- Configure web security settings.
- Configure the appearance of web pages.
- Define settings for up to four portals.
- Restore Enterprise Browser to the original default settings.
With the lock-down functionality, Enterprise Browser eliminates user distractions by preventing access to other applications and websites. Help desk calls are reduced by eliminating user-initiated changes to device and application configuration. Users can only access the links provided on the “Home” page and are unable to exit the browser to access other applications, the Start menu, or device settings.
Enterprise Browser supports integrated scanners and imagers, as well as Bluetooth® scanners and imagers.
Some of the benefits of Enterprise Browser:
- Endpoint security. Ensures endpoint security while keeping the device managed and using the most up-to-date version of Android.
- Browser settings maintained. Ensures your settings will be maintained in the event you need to reset your Honeywell handheld computer.
- White Listing. Provides administrators the ability to define URLs/domains that are known and certified to meet your corporate requirements.
- Limit rogue site risks. Limit risks of your users accessing rogue sites or sites that may have questionable content. Forces rogue sites to ask permission prior to accessing your device.
- Secure web application environment. Run standard web applications from a controlled and isolated environment.
- Prevent unauthorized access to web. Prevents non-productive web surfing by workers. Users can only access the links provided on the “Home” page and are unable to exit the browser to access other applications, the Start menu, or device settings.
- Maintains corporate guidelines. Allows only what meets your corporate guidelines.
- Choice of search engines. Allows users their choice of search engines from a controlled environment.
- Reduces IT browser updating. Stops the need for IT to react to monthly browser changes.
- OS lock-down reduces configuration changes. Configurable OS lock-down means less chance that configurations will be changed, leading to more reliable operations.
- Reduces help desk calls. Reduces help desk calls by eliminating user-initiated changes to device and application configuration.
- Maintenance plan. Keep up-to-date with the latest releases and maintain your right to product support beyond the warranty period by purchasing an annual maintenance plan. The Enterprise Browser plan is easy to purchase and use.
Click here to download the Honeywell Enterprise Browser for Android User Guide.
Launcher for Android
Honeywell Launcher for Android is a customizable, locked-down application that allows users to launch only approved applications on their Android computers. Launcher features include:
- Administrator-controlled access to applications on the computer.
- Administrator-controlled access to computer functions. For example, you can prevent the user from accessing WLAM, WWAM, SD Cards, and so on.
- Multiple user profiles
With Launcher active on a device, you can limit each end user’s access to applications – whether that’s a single application or a limited set of applications. You approve the level of access you want for each of your workers.
This keeps your workers focused on line-of-business applications. It also prevents them from accessing applications that might distract them and lead to unproductive activity.
And by restricting configuration to admin users, Launcher prevents production workers from initiating configuration changes that could lead to downtime and help desk calls.
Your assigned admin users can configure Honeywell Launcher to:
- Work with a single user application and launch that application as soon as the device powers up.
- Prevent application exit, thereby turning the mobile computer into a single-purpose device.
Alternatively, admin users can configure Launcher software to:
- Work with multiple applications, allowing the user to switch between those applications.
- Prevent the user from accessing or even viewing other applications on the device.
Click here to download the Honeywell Launcher for Android User Guide.
Honeywell Enterprise Terminal Emulator for Android
The Enterprise Terminal Emulator (TE) for Android application emulates VT/ANSI and IBM 5250 or IBM 3270 terminal protocols on your Honeywell computer. It provides a secure, reliable connection to your data collection application. It supports fast scanning input, TE-specific keyboards, and kiosk-style device controls. Enterprise TE also provides consistent operation and management on handheld or vehicle-mounted computers. You can expect:
- Ease of use. The software’s common menu structure and consistent user interface across the product line simplifies using and managing your applications. Enterprise TE also provides multiple-session support so users can switch between up to four different sessions without having to log out and re-launch each application.
- Session Persistence. Losing connection with the host application can occur when the wireless network is less than optimal. Enterprise TE works with our Session Persistence Server to provide wireless session persistence, preserving data and productivity when wireless connections are lost.
- Remote management and configuration. Enterprise TE is compatible with all Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools. Configuration files can be produced on one mobile computer and copied to multiple other computers or they can be edited on a PC and pushed to the entire mobile computer population.
How Enterprise Terminal Emulator works. The Enterprise TE application uses Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), telnet, and SSH network protocols to provide reliable data transfers between the host computer and terminal. Implementation of VT/ANSI computer emulation supports both 7-bit and 8-bit communication environments. An 8-bit asynchronous character encoding scheme and a 7-bit code extension technique ensures that the computer is compatible with ANSI and ISO standards.
To facilitate data transfers, the Honeywell computer processes characters received from the host computer as standard ANSI character codes and functions. When the keys on the terminal are used, the application generates and transmits keyboard codes back to the host computer. The terminal supports VT/ANSI computer top-row functions, main keypad editing, and auxiliary key emulation. Character codes supported include 7-bit and 8-bit types.
Benefits of Enterprise Terminal Emulator
Leverages WMS investments. Leverages your WMS investments with support for all major emulation protocols.
- Improves productivity. Supports multiple sessions and session persistence for more robust operations.
- Improves operator experience. Enhances operator experience with industry-leading terminal emulation performance.
- Maintains secure communications. Enables security compliance via enhanced, secure communications.
- Lowers operational costs. Lowers your operational costs with remote management and configuration capability.
- Minimizes support expenses. Annual maintenance plan is available. Minimizes your support expense, keeping you up-to-date with the latest releases and upgrades. The plan is easy to purchase and use.
Click here to download the Honeywell Terminal Emulator for Android User Guide.
Easily Deploy Honeywell Enterprise Client Pack with Enterprise Mobility Management Tools
You can easily deploy Honeywell Enterprise Client Pack through Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. EMM are all-purpose platforms that allow your company to centrally manage and enforce corporate security policies. From one location, mobile device fleet IT administrators can virtually and easily manage/monitor critical data and enforce security compliance for tens of thousands of data collection devices (e.g., barcode scanners and mobile computers) through a single, easy-to-use interface. Honeywell integrates with leading EMM tools such as SOTI MobiControl and VMware AirWatch.
EMM combines Mobile Device Management (MDM) and Mobile Application Management (MAM) software. MDM software focuses on locking down mobile devices and MAM controls which users can access specific applications.
- MDM provides the enterprise the tools to configure Wi-Fi access, install enterprise applications, and resolve problems that arise on a device. It gives the administrator the ability to enforce device security.
- MAM controls which users can access specific business applications and the content associated with them without controlling the entire physical device.
EMM provides for:
- Rapid deployment and provisioning. IT administrators can streamline large deployments of mobile devices. Each device is automatically configured with the required account settings, apps, content, and VPN settings. This can be done through different methods such as barcode scanning, NFC bump, and Android Enterprise provisioning.
- Enterprise integration. Sensitive company information residing on a mobile device is as secure as if it was on a workstation back at the office maintaining PCI, SOX, and HIPAA compliance.
- Remote support. IT administrators can remote view and remote control, making it easy to communicate, diagnose, and solve device problems with remote users.
- Application management. Deliver the right application to the right employee on the right device – quickly and securely.
- GeoFencing. Set devices to work fully within a defined area and lockdown with notification to IT that a device is not where it should be.
- Device tracking. Tracking devices to make sure that they are being used as they should be.
- Silent application deployment and update. Install and update your devices silently and on your timeframe without user interaction. For example, install devices when they are not being used or stagger an update so it does not overload the system.
The following is an overview of Honeywell partners:
SOTI MobiControl makes mobility management easy. It secures and manages mobile devices, throughout their entire lifecycle, from deployment to retirement. It controls all aspects of business mobility – tracking physical assets, managing applications and content, as well as keeping devices and data safe and secure. SOTI is the proven leader for managing rugged, special-purpose devices used in key industries, such as healthcare, transportation, logistics, retail, and field services.
Keep your workers working. SOTI MobiControl includes productivity tools and remote support features that reduce worker downtime and keep them focused on their work.
- Remote support features (remote view/remote control, file sync, and 2-way chat) fix device and application problems quickly.
- Kiosk mode restricts a mobile device to a single application or suite of applications, and keeps the device secure, corporate data private, and workers productive.
- Automatically configure device connectivity (3G/4G, Wi-Fi, and VPN) to ensure that the user is always able to communicate securely from wherever they are located.
Manage your mobile content and applications. SOTI MobiControl provides enterprises with a complete suite of mobile content and application management tools.
- SOTI hub is a secure content management application that makes it easy for businesses to control and manage important files and documents.
- SOTI surf is a secure mobile browser with configurable features and security settings that support each company's unique business needs and end-user requirements.
- Over-the-air installation, configuration, updates, and removal of apps from your enterprise or public app store.
Get your devices deployed quickly and correctly. SOTI MobiControl gets mobile devices into the hands of your workers faster, and makes sure that they are set up per company mobility policies.
- Express enrollment via barcode scanning or NFC bump with SOTI stage.
- Integration with device OEM rapid enrollment solutions, including Honeywell EZConfig.
- Provision devices quickly and consistently using profiles (configuration sets) and packages (application sets) based on user role or geographic location.
AirWatch simplifies enterprise mobility. Advanced mobile devices and applications are critical to an organization’s success. Managing all the current mobile technology used by mobile workers and ensuring the success of future deployments can be challenging. Enterprises need a comprehensive smartphone and mobile device management solution that encompasses deployment, security, monitoring, management, and support.
AirWatch provides the technology to simplify these processes across multiple device types and mobile operating systems in one single console.
Architecture. Designed by industry leaders in building, implementing, and scaling enterprise mobility software, AirWatch differentiates itself through the following features: 1) Multi-OS, 2) Multi-tenant, 3) Multi-lingual, 4) Highly scalable, 5) Web-based, 6) Role-based access, 7) API integration, 8) SDK framework, 9) Intelligent notifications, and 10) Robust reporting.
Delivery. AirWatch can be deployed on-premise, as a software appliance or software as a service (SaaS) across enterprises with diverse IT infrastructures and resources. As mobility and business needs evolve, you can easily transition from one model to another.
With AirWatch, you also get expert support and services, including 1) Implementation services, 2) Technical support, and 3) Professional services.
Enterprise Browser and Launcher Address Top 5 Mobile Device Security Threats
Enterprise Browser and Launcher give you control to address the top 5 mobile device security threats of 2019 as follows:
Lack of security software. Devices are connected to the internet via wireless networks, cellular networks, or USB connections. Any of these connections can transfer malware. Viruses can even be transmitted via Bluetooth.
- Enterprise Browser controls internet access on devices connected via wireless or cellular networks.
- Launcher allows connection to only Bluetooth and Wi-Fi access points to networks you identify as trusted.
Small screen surfing. Web browsers can be gateways for an attack. Small screens make it harder to spot a phishing site, and malware can be transferred before a threat is detected.
- Enterprise Browser natively blocks everything, allowing you to define URLs that are known and certified to meet your corporate requirements. Limit the risks of your users accessing rogue sites or sites that may have questionable content.
Wi-Fi vulnerability. Connecting to an unsecured network may be the biggest vulnerability for smartphones. In addition to 3G and 4G cellular connections, Wi-Fi can be very useful for data transfer over a secure network.
- Enterprise Browser controls internet transactions on devices connected via trusted wireless or cellular networks.
- Launcher connects to only Bluetooth and Wi-Fi access points to networks you identify as trusted.
Security bypass. Some phones have built-in data security bypasses to simplify things for the user. For example, on a consumer-grade device, you can access an Exchange Server by accepting all SSL certificates.
- Launcher will lock down access to the control panel, preventing users from changing Bluetooth and Wi-Fi access points to networks that you have identified as trusted.
Physical security. Enable basic security on user devices, such as a PIN or password protection, or better yet, fingerprint authentication.
- Launcher provides a highly secure lock screen for users and administrators. Choose PIN or password protection with user and admin mode and a configurable background. PINs and passwords are encrypted using the highest industry standards for added security.